Help Us Celebrate Nebraska Public Transit Week
Below is a list of activities communities across Nebraska are doing to enhance the awareness of public transportation. Scroll down to see what is happening in your community!
Avera St. Anthony’s Hospital
- We will be giving free rides on Tuesday the 7th on request and giving tickets to prospective riders to use when they want to try our service.
- Open house: Tuesday April 7 from 2:00 pm till 4:00 pm.
- Staff Appreciation Day: April 7.
- Passenger Appreciation Day: April 7 and handing out thank yous throughout the week.
Blue Rivers Area Agency on Aging
- We are promoting free ride vouchers for new riders.
- We are offering that previous transportation riders can reserve a free ride voucher for someone who has never ridden before.
- Open house: April 8, 2015 from 10AM - 2PM at our 7 transportation locations.
Box Butte Public Transit
- We are promoting free ride vouchers for new riders.
- Stuff the Bus: All week - We will be collecting personal hygiene items to donate to our local Northwest Community Action Agency for distribution.
- "Hitch a Ride to Healthcare" Day & "Bringing Home the Bacon Day".
- Veterans appreciation day: April 6th - Veterans Ride Free All Day.
- Open House from 1-3 p.m. @ 816 Flack Ave., Alliance, NE.
- Staff appreciation day: April 10th, Lunch & Appreciation Gifts Will Be Provided for All Employees.
Central City Public Transit
- Activities for the week will be advertised in local newspaper.
- Monday, April 6, 2015, will be Kids Coloring Contest, prizes to the top 3 places.
- Wednesday, April 8, 2015. Free rides.
- Open House Friday, April 10, 2015, 8 am-3:30 pm. Bus will be open to public at local grocery store parking lot. Public can come have refreshments and tour the bus and ask any questions they may have.
- Staff appreciation day: Tuesday, April 7, 2015.
- Passenger Appreciation Day: Thursday, April 9, 2015. Passengers will all receive a thank you card from staff.
City of McCook Public Transit
- Free Rides: April 6th through the 10th
City of Tecumseh Public Transit
- April 6-Great Handibus ticket search starts. Look for one of these tickets around town for a free ride. One lucky winner will win a 10-punch ticket. The ticket is good thru April 30, 2015.
- April 7-Free ride day-good for one round trip.
- April 8-Veteran Appreciation Day at Ramseys from 9-11am. Free rides- coffee and pie will be served.
- April 9-$1 round trip day.
- April 10-Passenger Appreciation Day at the library from 1-3p. Cake and ice cream will be served.
Crawford Public Transportation
- Open House: April 7, 2015 serving cookies and coffee.
- Passenger Appreciation Day: Will be giving some kind of a little gift to all riders April 9.
- Suggestion box
- April 6th 5th boarder will get a prize.
- April 8 Guess what’s in the bag. Guess all the articles and get a free boarding. Entry each time you board for the drawing of a $10 boarding card at the end of the week.
- Help us pick a logo! Asking public to make a logo. Winner picked will win a t shirt.
Dial-a-Ride Public Transportation Neligh
- Monday, 4/6 with Passenger & Veterans Appreciation Day.
- Wednesday 4/8 with Pre-K thru 2nd grade building - "Stuff the Backpack" and Kids Coloring Contest.
- Stuff the bus: Friday, 4/10 - 2 canned items for free ride to support the local Antelope County Food Pantry.
- Passenger Appreciation Day/Veterans Appreciation Day: Monday, 4/6 - all passengers will receive a bus shaped cookie and info bus shaped magnet.
- Passenger Selfie Contest: Thursday, 4/9 - trying to draw riders from ages of 8+ to < 60 years. All riders will be entered in a drawing for a prize(s).
Eastern Nebraska Office on Aging Rural Transportation Program
- We will ask for donations the entire week of April 6-10 for our agency in-house pantry.
- We are going to distribute one free ride coupon to all new riders the week of April 6-10.
- Staff appreciation day: we will provide lunch for all of the drivers the week of April 6-10.
- Passenger Appreciation Day: cards distributed to passengers the week of April 6-10.
- A suggestion box will be available the entire month of April on each of our vans.
- Any current passenger that brings a new passenger along for a ride the week of April 6-10 will ride 2 for the price of 1.
Fullerton Area Senior Center/NanceTrans
- Open house: April 14-open house-free fried chicken dinner-cake & ice cream-staff appreciation-tour of transit system.
- Staff appreciation day: April 14th during the open house-with new shirts and token given to each driver.
- Veteran Appreciation Day: April 6th-free ride this day for any veteran and spouse.
Garden County Transportation
- 50% off any rides from 4/6 to 4/10
- Stuff the Bus: 4/11/15 - FREE Lunch
- 4/11/15 FREE Rides to/from Lunch for entire county
Norfolk Public Transportation
- Rides for $1.00 on April 8th
North Platte Public Transit
- We are doing a stuff the Bus for the local animal shelter and pet pantry.
- Local Schools: We have our own page that we created of our own bus. The after school program will be coloring them. Chance to win a Rec. Center Membership.
- Staff Appreciation Day: Lunch at the Bus Barn!!!
- Passenger Selfie Contest: Ongoing
Perkins County Public Transportation
- We will have boxes on the bus throughout the week for people to donate non-perishable items in exchange for a free ride ticket to be used at a later date (one ticket per person).
- We are going to the Elementary school with the coloring sheets the week prior. We will ask the children to color the sheets and get them back to the bus office by Friday, April 3rd. We will hang them in the buses during the week of the 6th.
- Passenger appreciation day will be held on April 6th. We are handing out lollipops with a free ride voucher (to be used at a later date) as a thank you for using the service.
- We will be having a free ride day on Wednesday, April 8th
- Staff appreciation day will be held on April 10th. There will be a card hanging in the bus during the week and we will ask all the riders to sign it with their thanks.
- We will be holding an open house on Saturday, April 11th at the Perkins County Senior Center. We will have refreshments and door prizes.
- "Where's the Bus" campaign. We will ask the community to take pictures of the bus throughout the week as they see it dropping off and picking up riders or any other great shots they may witness. We will then ask them to post them to our Facebook page or email them to us. Each picture will be entered into a drawing, which will be held during the open house. If you submit a picture you have a chance to win free rides or other fun gifts.
- We are planning to provide free rides to the Center for lunch and back home the week of April 6th - 10th.
Saline County Area Transit
- Stuff the bus: Friday April 10. At the Food Mesto in Wilber from 9-12 and Crete Foodmart in Crete from 3-6.
- Passenger appreciation: Wednesday April 8 and Thursday April 9. Free ride with donation of a nonperishable food item.
Sandhills Rides - Community Senior Center, Inc.
- Open house: Friday, April 10th - Coffee/Cookies and Bus Rides.
Scotts Bluff County Handy Bus Public Transit
- "Ride Free Day" on Tuesday, 4/7/15.
- Passenger Appreciation Day: We will hand out candy kisses on Wednesday, 4/8/15.
- Free ride ticket to every 5th passenger on Thursday, 4/9/15.
- We will have drawings every day that week giving away prizes donated by local businesses. We have gift certificates donated by Target, Arby's, Pizza Hut, Taco Johns and are waiting to hear from a few others. We will be drawing for bus tickets purchased by Twin City Auto. We will be giving away pens throughout the week that have our name and number on them.
Seward County Public Transit
- After the Seward County Health Fair (04/01/15) which will kick off our Public Transit Week events, Seward County Public Transit will be heading out to Wal-Mart to a "Stuff the Bus" event to collect items for Blue Valley Community Action.
- Staff Appreciation Day: On April 8th, Seward County Public Transit Director will be giving away new fleece coats with Seward County Public Transit logo, to staff and drivers (Funds provided through donation).
- Passenger Appreciation: Snacks will be provided throughout the week for our passengers (popcorn with Public Transit Week logo printed on each bag).
- Veterans Appreciation: Veterans will ride free on Seward County Public Transit during the entire Public Transit Week (funds for fares will be provided by the Seward County Veterans Service Office).
- Seward City Mayor Josh Eickmeyer will be signing a proclamation (April 7th) and "proclaiming" on the city hall steps the benefits of Public Transit in Seward County.
- Seward County Public Transit will be going to each Senior Center (Milford April 6th, Utica April 8th, Seward April 9th) to sponsor and provide the after lunch dessert (cake) and also take a few minutes to talk about Seward County Public Transit and give an update on current activities and the Public Transit Week events.
- We will be kicking off Public Transit Week on April 1st at the Seward County Health Fair where the booth and logos will be displayed. Literature about the following week's events and opportunities will be handed out as well. We are in the process of designing a Public Transit Week "Road Map" highlighting the weeks events. Marketing material (pens and magnet clips) will be handed out along with program literature and calendar. April 2nd, Seward County Public Transit will be passing out treat bags at Heartland Park (Independent and Assisted Living Facility) to residents promoting Public Transit Week. Popcorn will also be distributed to Seward County Offices, City of Seward, Chamber of Commerce Office, Economic Development and Blue Valley Community Action. April 4th, Seward County Public Transit will be partnering with local businesses and will be participating in the Community Easter Egg Hunt. A staff member will be dressed up as the Easter Bunny and will be available to visit with the kids and pose for pictures (Transit bus in the background of course). Also a coloring sheet will be handed out to the children to promote a coloring contest with submissions due by Friday, April 9th, the winner will win a free Seward County Public Transit punch card. April 7th, Seward County Public Transit will be visiting the Greene Place (Independent and Assisted Living) and will be handing out Root Beer Floats during the monthly polka band concert. Cups will have the Public Transit Week logo and information will be handed out to those in attendance. April 10th, Seward County Public Transit will be grilling hamburgers, hot dogs and polish sausages at Pac-N-Save grocery store in Seward. Proceeds from the event will be donated to the local VFW Post's Unmet Needs Program to assist veterans who may need assistance, with the funds being earmarked to assist with transportation needs.
Southeast Nebraska Community Action Partnership Pawnee City Public Transit System
- Demo the bus & lift to several senior centers during the week.
Wolf Memorial Good Samaritan Center
- April 6 - 10 free ride coupons will be distributed around town
- Treats handed out to passengers starting Monday until they are gone.