The Nebraska Association of Transportation Providers held its Annual Statewide Roadeo at the Nebraska Safety Center in Kearney on August 25. The theme was “Kentucky Derby”.
Thank you to:
- All the drivers, volunteers, and staff who participated in the event.
- The Nebraska Safety Center who donated the use of the driving range, a bus, and tents for the event.
- Cedar County Public Transit, CRANE Public Transit, KCTS, Midlands Public Transit, and York Public Transit for the use of your vehicles for the event.
The Roadeo competition consists of a written test, pre-trip inspection, wheelchair securement, and a driving skills course, with 10 obstacles.
Following the Roadeo competition, all attendees gathered for an awards luncheon. Drivers were introduced and presented with certificates for their participation. There were 12 drivers from five different transit agencies in the minivan division, as well as seven drivers from six different agencies in the small bus division.
The first place winner took home a $250 check and an engraved clock. The second place winner received a $150 check along with an engraved key ring. The third place winner was presented with a $100 check.
The first and second place drivers and their managers are eligible to attend and compete in the CTAA National Roadeo in Louisville, Kentucky, May 7-8, 2022.
Winners of the Minivan Division
- 1st Place: Karen Hottell from Kimball County Transit Services
- 2nd Place: Joanna Hottell from Kimball County Transit Services
- 3rd Place: Ramona Daniels from Saline County Area Transit
Winners of the Small Bus Division
- 1st Place: David Heckman from Alliance Public Transit
- 2nd Place: Frank Malousek from Saunders County Public Transportation
- 3rd Place: Paul Lowell from CRANE Public Transit
The first place winners took home the traveling trophy to be displayed at their agency until next year’s Roadeo.
The Driver of the Year Award went to Karen Hottell of Kimball County Transit Services who had the highest score of the day. Karen received a $50 gift card as a prize.
A spirit award for the best derby hat was given to LaWanna Subbert of Saunders County Public Transportation.
Thank you to everyone who participated.